There are times in this creative journey when it is easy to get discouraged. It’s easy to look at the distance between your life and your God-given vision and your life right now and think it’s really far and wonder if you’ll get there. Friends, that’s kind of where I’ve been lately. I see it and I am continuing to make steps toward my vision, but other factors in life have left me more than a little discouraged. Have no fear, I am not going to make this a “pity me, whine fest.” I post this because I figure I can’t be the only creative who sometimes feels this way and I’ve found hope where I should always go looking, God’s Word.
I was searching the Word for a message I am preaching tomorrow and I found a verse in Scripture that gave me a lot of hope. It also brought another similar verse to mind and the two verses together bring forth an incredible promise. The real NIV (before they went and messed with it) says in Psalm 37:4:
“Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart”
Add to that Proverbs 16:3:
“Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed.”
Those two verses are powerful against discouragement. Our plans can, and I believe will, succeed if we are committed to and delight in the Lord, because if we are committed to and delighting in the Lord, our plans and our desires will line up with His will. I see these verses as promises and today I stand on them in the fight against discouragement.
So here is the plan that is on my heart:
1. To travel the nation and the world using my gifts to introduce people to Jesus and help people to find and use their gifts to serve the Lord in the church and the world through speaking and painting.
2. To help churches to help all their people but especially their creatives to become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
3. To use this vehicle and others to build up the creatives in the body of Christ to use their talents to reach people with the Gospel all over the world.
4. To earn my full living through this ministry by the end of the year and to have my family income covered in two years. I intend to do this through a combination of creating resources and offerings/honorariums for speaking. I really debated about putting the last one on there but I’ve already been doing some of numbers 1-3, but I want to make this ministry my total focus and give it all my efforts. Being bivocational sometimes feels like serving two masters. I’d like to stop.
All this is in God’s hands, because more than I want any of these things, I want to please the one in whom I delight. The plan can change if God wants it to, because while I am committed to fulfilling the vision the Lord has laid on my heart, I am more committed to the One who put it in there as long as I keep those tow things straight, success will come. In the midst of some discouragement, I stand on these promises. What are you standing on?
If you’d like to help me and AMOKArts to live out this vision, here’s how:
1. I need people to commit to being on my prayer team. If you will do that, please contact me at email@example.com My plan is to generate and e-list and do regular updates. This ministry needs to continue to be anointed and bathed in prayer.
2. Spread the word about this blog/site especially with creatives who might benefit from what’s happening here. Repost it, retweet it, blog it, share it with people who might like to interview me, event promoters, church leaders, etc.
3. Bring me in to your churches/events to speak and connect me with people you know who might be able to get AMOKArts out to more people.
4. Stay/get active with this community through discussions and comments.
5. Use your gifts to serve the Lord in your church/community.